Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Newt Gingrich recalls gasohol at 2011 Iowa GOP Ronald Reagan Dinner

Newt Gingrich traced his support for ethanol back to the 1980's during his November 4, 2011 speech at the Iowa Republican Party Ronald Reagan Dinner in Des Moines:


In addition, it’s great to be back with Senator Grassley.
He and I worked together back in 1984 on a project called gasohol.
For those of you who are younger, that’s what happened a long time ago before it became ethanol.
We also worked together when I was Speaker to save it in the late 1990’s.
I have a very simple principle on why I’m for ethanol.
I believe if my choice is for money to go to Iran or go to Iowa, I pick Iowa.
If my choice is for money to go to Saudi Arabia or South Dakota, I pick South Dakota.
It’s not very complicated.

   

The former House Speaker and 2012 Republican presidential candidate also shared words of praise for the energy plan floated by one of his top competitors, Texas Governor Rick Perry.


“I agree with most of his energy policy, which I think is exactly in the right general direction,” Gingrich said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment